Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sweet-N-Sour Chicken

So I vowed to cook from "The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook" all week.  Um...not sure I can live up to that promise.  Personally I LOVED tonight's dinner. (after a little tweaking)   But the family??  They weren't buying it.
Sweet and sour chicken.  Doesn't that sound yummy?  The kiddos had a different opinion.

Isaac:  Mom?  What's cooking???
Me:  Sweet and Sour Chicken.
Me:  HEY!!!  Did you just say "BLECH"?!?!?!?!?!
Isaac:  No, I said "NASTY!!!"
Megan:  Ewwwww.  What IS that??
Me:  Sweet and Sour Chicken
Meg:  ...doesn't look like the sweet and sour chicken I had at the restaurant.
Meg:  Can we add some ranch?
Genny:  Where's the ranch??  I need the ranch.

All of this was said even before I put it on the plates!!!   I thought it looked BEAUTIFUL!!  I was wowed by the smells and thought the colors were GORGEOUS.  I even took pictures!

Doesn't that look pretty??  I thought it did...
But then I put it on their plates and I realized...uh-oh.  I might be in trouble here. 



I noticed an AWFUL lotta red pepper, and that's NEVER a good thing when kids are involved.
But I set the table, asked the kids to say a prayer, and we dug in. ( My prayer??  Dear God, Please let the kids like and eat their supper.  Amen.)

Some prayers are not meant to be answered.

Noah: (as he showed me his plate)  Hey mom!!  What's different about my plate??  I took out all of the peppers!!
Isaac: (as he picked out all of the peppers, onions, and pineapples)  Ew.  Ew.  Ew. 
She Who Must Not Be Named:  Isaac, don't say "Ew.  Ew.  Ew.  Now everyone with a computer will know that you said, '"Ew.  Ew.  Ew.'" cuz she's gonna write about it in her stupid blog."
Genny:  I remember when I ate my WHOLE soup and I'm gonna eat this all gone TOO!
Meg:  I'd rather eat an egg.
Noah: How do you think I feel eating this???
Isaac:  My rice tastes sandy.
Me:  It's whole grain brown rice.
Megan:  ...tastes like oatmeal.

Yup.  Not a big hit.
But I'll stand by the recipe.  The recipe sounded yummy.  And, truthfully, the dish was yummy.  Just too un-kid-friendly for a family with kids.

MY rating??  4 outta 4. 
Easy, yummy, healthy and cheap. 
Sweet and Sour Chicken was all 4.  Easy, yummy, healthy and cheap.
I'd make it again, but that would be a LOT of wasted food.

(Genny's plate...'member she said she was gonna eat it all gone?  She didn't.)


LOL!!!  See the ranch??
That's gross.

I'm including the recipe anyway.  I thought it was good.  Sticking my tongue out at my kids.

4 comments:

  1. Woops!
    Forgot to add that I substituted chicken for pork.
    I also added salt, more vinegar, honey, pineapple juice and soy sauce. the sauce was just bland. SO bland.
    But after the additions?? I had the left-overs for a snack!! I thought it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy to me! My DH would have added ranch too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loe s&s chick! I'm obsessed with orange chicken too, which I'm sure isn't healthy at all. They even sell orange sauce which I wanna buy and pour on everything. Is that so wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!
    Does DH stand for Damn Husband??
    That's hilarious.

    Angie, there is NOTHING wrong with pouring orange sauce on everything. I adore orange sauce. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete