Saturday, October 23, 2010

Leggo My Eggo

LEGGO MY EGGO!!!
That's all I can say.  Leggo my Eggo and...mmmmmmmmmmm.  Mmmm mmm mmm mmmm mmmm.
A couple of months ago I picked up the "Flat Belly Diet Pocket Guide."



Buy it.  Of all my books this is, by far, my favorite.  The recipes are delicious, ridiculously easy AND...they target belly fat.  Does it get any better than that?  It was written by the editor-in-chief of Prevention magazine so I believe it to be credible.  The theory behind the flat belly diet is that monounsaturated fats target belly fat.  Monounsaturated fats (MUFA's) are healthy oils that are found in many plant foods.  In the exact words of Liz Vaccariello, "They fill you up fast and keep you full longer."  Eat a MUFA at every meal and soon your tummy will be tinier.  Pretty damn easy.  And yummy.

There are 5 categories of MUFA's:

1. Oils
2. Nuts and seeds
3. Avocados
4. Olives
5. Dark Chocolate

Isn't that list amazing????  Avocados??  As in...guacamole????  See??  Told you this book is awesome.  You just have to watch the MUFA serving size.  MUFA's are calorie dense so a little goes a long way.  If your chosen MUFA is oil, the serving is 1TBS.  Nuts and seeds...2 TBS.  Avocados...1/4 cup.  Olives...2 TBS.  And chocolate???  I can't eat chocolate.  It gives me a migraine.  That super sucks.  But the serving size for dark chocolate is 1/4 cup.  That's 4 TBS.  Back in my chocolate-doesn't-give-me-a-migraine days, I woulda been THRILLED with 4 TBS of chocolate.  4TBS of chocolate chips on top of a waffle??  Oh my yum!!  Chocolate in my oatmeal??  Chocolate on strawberries??  Chocolate chips right outta the bag??  Sigh.  I hate migraines.

BUT!!!  I can eat all of the other MUFA's and they are delicious.  This morning I chose pecans as my MUFA.  Toasted pecans and strawberries over whole grain waffles with a little agave nectar drizzled on top...mmmmm.  This afternoon I chose avocados and had a guacamole sammy.  Yum.  Not sure what dinner's gonna be, but Liz Vaccariello has that covered, too.  She put out the Flat Belly Diet Family Cookbook and I'm pretty sure the fam would like just about everything in it.  (Except the fish recipes.  I still haven't figured out how to get my kids to eat fish...)


...'kay.  I'm done blabbing.  The Pitt game is on.  Gotta go!

Woops!  Forgot to include the 4 Flat Belly Diet rules:
Rule #1: Stick to 400 calories per meal.
Rule #2: Never go more than 4 hours without eating.
Rule #3: Eat 4 times per day.
Rule #4: Eat a MUFA at every meal.

Easy.  LOVE this book!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I be eatten dem MFUs all da damn time yo. Daes some tasty mofos fo sure. I specially love dem Greek olives and you know I loves me some dark chocolate! Word

    ReplyDelete
  2. TIM!!!! I just read this!!!!!! OMGAWD!!!!!!!! My lips are all chapped for some reason...I just laughed so hard my top lip split and is bleeding. Now THAT'S laughter!!! You da shiz.

    ReplyDelete