Thursday, October 28, 2010

Creamy Caramelized Onion Bisque


Creamy Caramelized Onion Bisque...I gotta tell ya, the recipe name alone had me tearing up and drooling.  I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating...Lisa Lillien??  I love you.  I love you and I thank you and my tummy thanks you.  I think Rob's tummy thanks you, too.  This soup was outta the ball park good.  And 109 calories per cup???  Seriously???  I dub thee Saint Lisa.  Canonized for life.  You performed an onion miracle.  Even She Who Must Not Be Named had two cups!!  You have earned your title, Saint Lisa.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for your recipe.  I made this soup on a cold, rainy Monday...the house smelled amazing for HOURS (unless you hate the smell of onions) and I was warmed from the inside out.  I served it with a salad and called the whole thing dinner.  Truthfully, it was the best dinner I've had in a long time.  Two thumbs up and an mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmm.  My only (itsy bitsy) complaint is that it takes FOREVER to properly caramelize onions.  BUT!!   It's so worth the time it takes, so I'll zip up my complaint, lock it and throw away the key.

Creamy Caramelized Onion Bisque

1 TBS light whipped butter or light buttery spread (we use Smart Balance Light)
2 large sweet onions, chopped
4 large shallots, thinly sliced
2 TBS chopped garlic
1/2 tsp salt  (I used a lot more...always do)
Dash cayenne pepper or more to taste
4 cups fat-free beef broth
4 TBS fat-free creamer




1. Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat on the stove.  Once butter has coated the bottom of the pot, add onions, shallots, garlic salt and cayenne pepper.  Onions may be piled high, but they'll cook down.  Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned and caramelized.  (SOOO worth the time...)



Mine still had another 10 minutes to go at this point.  Kind of a pain, but again...mmmmmm.

3. Remove 1/2 cup of the caramelized onions, to be used to top soup, and set aside.  Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Remove pot from heat.  Stir in creamer and let cool for several minutes.

5. Working in batches, puree onion mixture in a blender until smooth, 1-2 minutes per batch.


'kay...I guess this is my second complaint.  I hate using the blender.  Especially when hot liquids are involved.  But this is the step that transforms your soup from an onion-y broth to a creamy, bisque-y heaven.  It gets yummy and creamy and looks almost gravy-like.  109 calories???  I'm still not believing it.

Anyway...that's it!!!  Your soup is now done.  Top with the reserved caramelized onions, scallions, a crouton or 2 (or 3) and some extra cayenne pepper.  Yum.
Rob topped his with croutons and cheese and broiled it till melty and brown.  Damn, his looked good.  But so did mine.  No cheese needed.



Enjoy!!!  (And if you make it...invite me over.  I want another bowl.  Thanks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment