Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pasta Bolognese

Okay...meal one is complete.  I wish I could say it was a complete success, but, uh...no.  Pasta Bolognese??  My dear friend Amy was right.  Pasta Bolognese is really just a fancy name for pasta with meat sauce.  Don't get me wrong...pasta with meat sauce definitely has it's possibilities...but this was pasta with meat sauce from Cooking Light.    It was healthy to be sure, but therein lies the problem.  It was healthy.  95% lean ground beef, turkey sausage and Pam cooking spray.  No oil...Pam cooking spray.  No butter...Pam cooking spray.  Just...Pam cooking spray.  Now, I'm a big fan of Pam cooking spray, but I think the recipe asked too much of the yellow aerosole spray bottle.  I definitely needed a little fat and a lot more flavor on my plate.
Anyway...here's the recipe:  (Cooking Light--Fresh--Food--Fast--Weeknight--Meals  pg.243)

Pasta Bolognese
1 (13.25 package whole-grain  linguine
2 links hot Turkey sausage (I used sweet)
Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
1 pound 93% lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (8 oz) package button mushrooms, chopped
1 TBS finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 (28-oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. frshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat: drain, return to pan, and keep warm.
2. While pasta cooks, remove casings from sausage.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add sausage, beef and onion: cook 2 minutes, stirring to crumble: drain if necessary.  Add mushrooms and rosemary.  Cook 5 minutes or until browned.
3. Stir in tomatoes; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.  Stir in milk, pepper and salt; cook 2 minutes.  Add sauce to pasta, tossing well.  Sprinkle with cheese if desired.  Yield: 8 servings.

Doesn't this sound yummy???
Nope.
Grading it by my own criteria, though, it scores a 3 out of 4.
It was VERY easy to make (and only used 2 pans).

It was DEFINITELY healthy (324 calories per 1 1/2 cup serving and only 9.4 grams of fat)
And...it was relatively inexpensive to make.  I can't say "cheap", but definitely inexpensive.  Total cost of ingredients was $15.00 and it fed 7 of us.  That a little over $2 per plate.
But YUMMY???  Nuh-uh.
I wasn't the only one to think so...

Me (38): Alright...what do you think?
Megan (11): No comment.
Rob (41): Am I allowed to put hot sauce on it?
Noah (7): I like it.
Megan:  I think it would be better if you take out the meat.  And the tomatoes.  And the mushrooms.
Isaac (9): DARN!!  You used the taco meat!!  What are we gonna have for dinner TOMORROW night?!?!
Genny (4): Mommy??  I don't want to eat this yucky dinner.
Robert: Would any of you order this in a restaurant?
Megan: NOT THIS!!!!!
Genny: Mommy, can I have a mint?
Me: But you didn't eat any of your dinner!!!
Genny: I don't like it.  it's yucky.
Me: WELL PUT SOME SPAGHETTI SAUCE ON IT!!!!
Genny: It's still yucky.

That about sums it up.  Oh.  here's a picture.  Even in the picture it looks yucky.



And now I'm left with a mess to clean up.  Ew.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah -- I've found that happens when trying to "lighten" Italian classics. I tried turkey meatballs and low-fat meatballs and BLAA, YUCK. You need the fat in there to make it tasty. I make it healthier by hiding veggies in the sauce (purees of carrots and peas or finely shredded veggies). If my kids/hubby can see the veggies they will not eat it. Keep it up girl. It's just the first recipe. Can't wait to see what's next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to the butter and olive oil. PAM pretty much is aerosolized olive oil. The reason they can claim 'no fat' is because of what is considered a serving. If you use the same amount of it as olive oil, you are at the same place. Plus, most of your calories in this dish is from the pasta, and most whole grain pastas are terrible (Trader Joe's Spaghetti is actually okay). Try to make a similar dish, but substitue Quinoa for the pasta (try it as a side dish). I also agree with Alysia about the vegetables. If you stick them in a food processor, you can puree them, then you have more of a sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Brilla pasta fan myself and you can never go wrong when dinner includes meat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three are usually cheap Ralph Lauren available for sale each and every time you wish to buy. Cuvi

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. Stig

    ReplyDelete