Thursday, October 14, 2010

Slow Cookin' BBQ Chicken

I tried to stick with the $5 mom.  I REALLY did.  But my family wasn't buying it.  5 kid thumbs down.  I can't really blame them.  Personally, I LOVED the sweet-n-sour chicken, but...red peppers?  I HATED red peppers when I was a kid.  What was I thinking??  So last night I was out to impress and totally cook my way back into their hearts.  Kid cuisine.  But it still had to be healthy (ish).
Lisa Lillien??  I love you.  HUNGRY GIRL???  That's MEEEEEEEE.  I'm HUNGRY. And a girl.  Teach me, Lisa.  Teach me.

On page 174, I found a recipe that spoke to my hungry girl soul.  Slow-cookin' bbq chicken.
OMG, it's SO easy.  Seriously.  And you use a crock pot!!  I LOVE my crock pot.  It cooks for me all day long while I run around doing errands.   At the end of the day the house smells great, and I look like a hero. 
Isn't he gorgeous?  My slow cooker is a boy.  His name is Hamilton.  Hamilton makes all things yummy.  It doesn't matter what I throw into him.  By day's end, Chef Hamilton makes even the nastiest cut of beef tender and fall apart yummy.  That's a gift.  He's truly gifted.

Anyway...so, last night's recipe...

Slow Cookin' BBQ Chicken
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 TBS plus 2 tsp brown sugar (not packed)
2 TBS plus 2 tsp cider vinegar
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts or tenders  (I THREW MINE IN THE POT FROZEN!!)
Optional: crushed red pepper

1.  Place all ingredients except chicken in the crock pot.  Stir until mixed.  Add chicken and coat well with the sauce.
2.  Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.
3. Remove all the chicken and place it in a bowl.  Shred each piece using 2 forks.  Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot, and mix well with the sauce.
4. Serve on buns (I ate mine on a 100 calorie Flatout multi-grain flatbread)
5. Enjoy!!!!!

Hamilton??  You rock.  Damn this was good.  And only 149 calories per 1/2 cup serving.  OH!!  And 1 gram of fat and 10 grams of carbs!!  That's LITE!!!  What a smart woman Lisa Lillien is.  Genius, really.

But my kids???  They didn't like it!!!  I was so mad I actually cried.  Not in front of them.  And I didn't just cry about the dinner.  All in all it was just a really bad day yesterday...but still.  What's not to like about pulled bbq chicken sandwiches?!?!  That's dumb.  Isaac said it would've been better with pulled pork.  Mommy says pthhhllllll. 
Blowin' raspberries at ALL of my kids tonight.
Waving the white flag and taking them to Taco Bell for dinner.  Whatever.

Try the chicken.  It really was VERY good.

2 comments:

  1. Aw I'm so sad that you tried so hard and they didn't like it. That almost made me cry. But I'm def gonna try this chicken! I have a Hamilton too and he's dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that does look good. Trish is going to try it and we will let you know.

    ReplyDelete